CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 27, 2009

Heather's back in the hospital

Today I was supposed to work until 4:00 but we got done at 12:00. I went back to my parents house as Tristan and I have been staying there a couple days a week while I am working in Downey. On the way home I called Heather to check in like I do every day. She sounded great and said she felt better and was sitting out on the couch. Not even 30 minutes later my mom called and said Heather had another seizure and was taken to St. Josephs ER. Despite Heather's improved scans and walking more on her own. We have had suspicions for the last couple weeks that something was not right. She threw up the last two nights. She was scheduled to have a repeat scan the first week of August. However today she pushed them to giving her it early by having a few seizures. When I got to the emergency room (a while after Heather) she was awake and talking, but she was still seizing (her left arm was shaking/twitching). I asked if she had received any medication they said no. I could not believe it. I was so mad. It then started on her left leg and I grabbed somebody and said we need the nurse and some medication. He told the doc who came in and said somebody would be in to give her medicine. I was still mad this should have been done awhile ago. Heather then went into a horrible seizure where she was unconscious, foaming at the mouth and bleeding. I have seen a million of these but this was horrible and because it was my sister it was so hard to watch. I started grabbing emergency equipment: suction, oxygen etc. The doctor looked at me like I was crazy. There was no suction stuff I asked for some and he was a jerk and said oh you can't suction her while she is having a seizure. I told him I was getting prepared for when she was done seizing so I could suction her so she would not choke. She stopped seizing and wouldn't you know her oxygen levels dropped and he started yelling for suction stuff from the nurses. Hmmmm, guess they should of been prepared.

Anyway after finally getting some medicine it stopped. SHe got a head Cat scan and then she had another little seizure which they gave medicine right away this time so she did not have a bad one. RESULTS: some of the tumors on her right side of her brain are slightly bigger and with swelling around them. they are keeping her on anti seizure meds to hopefully prevent more, and are giving high dose steroids to help resolve the swelling. The neuro surgeon is to come tonight after he is done with surgeries and re discuss doing the gamma knife procedure to remove all of Heather's tumors. Just 6 weeks ago they had put the procedure on hold as her tumors had shrunk. Crazy to think what can happen in just 6 weeks. I will blog more tomorrow about what they say and her hospital stay.

NOT GOING PRIVATE YET so people can keep the updates on Heather.

0 comments: