Today I had my 20 week appointment. I got my results from the last of my blood work for the state genetics test. It was all normal. My big ultra sound I had last week also showed that everything was fine with the baby. The doctor said the baby is on the low end of normal for its size and is smaller than most at this stage, but is ok. Unfortunately I have a low lying placenta according to the ultra sound. It also showd that I have some degree of placenta previa. They were unable to detect the degree of the placenta previa. This is where the placenta is over the opening of the cervix. It was not clear if it was marginal, partial or complete. The doctor said no point in worrying which it is now because no matter what I have to get a repeat ultra sound at 30 weeks. If it is still even marginal at that time, I get a free ticket for a c section. Also, they take the baby around 37 weeks in this case as the placenta starts to rip and bleed as you dilate. How exciting. Fortunately only 10% of women who are diagnosed in the second trimester actually end up having placenta previa in the third trimester because as the uterus grows the placenta rises too. So I am hoping that it rises and my 30 week ultra sound shows all is well.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment