On Friday I got my offical lay off papers. I wanted to update this cause I have a lot of people emailing me asking if I have found a job. As of now NO! My last day a is June 30oth. They will give me 2 weeks paid leave and one month paid benefits then the option for 6 months of cobra.
How Sweet of them!
Although I was told about 6 weeeks ago that they were thinking about letting go my position, I never had any follow up to it. I ended up having others tell me they were sorry I would be loosing my job. Oh thanks??? Toward the end of May one of my co-workers called me and said we have to take a mandatory 2 weeks unpaid leave off by the end of June. O great so if I really won't have a job after teh end of June I have about 5-6 weeks left minus the 2 weeks, so about 3-4 weeks of pay left is all. Wonderful. When I went to work the next day my boss called me into her office to tell me about the mandatory leave. Apparently everyone in higher level positions has to take it. All the NPS, all nurse managers, nurse directors, and nursing admin, physical therapists, speech therpaist, dieticians and CEO, CFOs. They are cutting a lot of the dietician, therapists, and charge nurses positions as well right now. NOne of them are loosing their jobs yet, but are being cut to part time so they can all keep them. So as she tells me all this I am very kind and then at the end I ask her, so I hear I am actually going to be laid off?
All my boss would say is, yes I told you before we were thinking about it and now we have decided to cut it. I told her I had heard for weeks from others I was being laid off, why did she not tell me when she first new. All she said was, oh you know gossip, one person hears and it spreads. No responsibility for the fact that she told my co-worker weeks ago and not me.
So where does that leave me? I have only been working 2 12 hour days instead of my usual 3. I am taking one day off every week without pay to equal out my 2 weeks off. I am not using my paid time off cause I need it for my maternity leave if I find another position at CHOC. They are opening up a part time Nurse Practitioner position in July for the surgery dept. I was going up against a co worker for it who has more seniority so she would get it. However, she withdrew her name from it recently. They have not taken official applications yet, but should be next week. It will not be enough to get by on, but with my teaching job on the side we should be ok and we will have our same insurance benefits and I will get my long paid maternity leave. So I really hope I get it.
I have also received some heads up about a full time teaching position that may be coming available where I teach part time, and a part time Nurse pracitioner position at a different hospital. I will keep my ears out for these. I don't want the other NP job cause the doc you work with over works you and is really shady and cheap. But if I find nothing else I will have to go that route. Also with both of these I will get the standard state 6 week maternity leave only. I really want my 5 months with my little one.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Officially laid off
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 8:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I have really enjoyed reading your blog. You are such an intriguing writer. You really put things into perspective sometimes. Remember all things happen for a reason. I understand how much stress a new baby can bring along with the short-lived excitement as well. But you guys will figure things out I'm sure. My mom is in nursing as well and was recently laid off too, so I guess I felt a connection here. Don't forget to enjoy your pregnant state because all too soon, your kids will be coloring on the walls and pooping on your kitchen floors. Can't wait to hear more about your little one.
Post a Comment