CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 8, 2009

Hospital Tour turns to day spent in ER

Today Tristan and I decided for our family night activity we would take a daytime tour of the labor and delivery area where we would be having our little one. We wanted to get it done before Tristan heads back to school and before I start working more. It started off bad when we got there and everyone else on the tour looked like they were ready to pop. Here I was in the midst of 12 other pregnant women and I looked like the odd ball. They probably thought I was eager beaver just finding out she is pregnant and way too excited to wait for her tour. Since I still have not gained weight or started showing yet I really stuck out and felt uncomfortable.

We were about half way into the tour and just finishing up in the labor room. I started feeling dizzy. I saw a chair in the corner of the room and wanted to go sit down in it. I had had this same feeling last week at work and sat down for 15 minutes and ended up being fine the rest of the day. But with all these other pregnant women and me looking not pregnant at all, I felt like a loser going over and sitting in a chair. I might as well say, "Oh sorry you are all about to explode any day now but I am going to sit down now while you all stand." Well it started getting worse, I was fanning myself and sweating. I started shifting my weight and telling myself we are almost out of this room then you can walk around and will be fine. NOPE! The lady in charge had the marvelous idea to just stay in this little cramped labor room with 25-30 people to continue to talk about the post partum area. Then she would walk us over there. Oh wonderful! I was in the middle of telling myself I will be ok when it started. The jello leggs, the tunnel vision that is starting to blacken, and the blood leaving my head. I turned to face Tristan and had enough time to say I don't feel well as I made my descent down to the floor. Tristan caught me and my cute volcum purse helped to cushion me as well. Boy do I know how to get attention in a crowd.

Turns out one of the perspective dads is a respiratory therapist at CHOC and recongnized me and came to see if I was ok and wanted to put oxygen on me. I did not know him but you can imagine how embarrassing it was to have someone who knew I was a nurse practitioner and that I fainted during a hospital tour. How am I going to go back to work, and will everyone know my secret now? Hospital policy is you must go be seen in the ED. So we spent the next 4 hours waiting to be seen while everyone else walked right in. Apparently being pregnant and maybe having something wrong with you or your baby is not urgent. I also learned that I will be treated better and quicker if you don't speak english and/or dont have insurance. But that is for another blog. (Trust me after 4 hours you new everyones address, type of state/federal aid insurance and their chief complaint. They were practically playing it over the loud speaker). We watched 4 cycles of groups come and go (about 30 patients all of who had coughs or runny noses only). I could have a dead baby in me by now for all they know. Finally we got in. They checked my heart out which I have had done a billion times cause I like to pass out 1-2 times a year. But I have done it about 3 times already this pregnancy. Then they tried to find the baby's heartbeat. No luck, they tried for a long time. I was getting teary eyed, and they finally decided to do an ultrasound. It was a cheapy little machine that was so unclear, but we could see enough. The baby was of course moving around like crazy, does this kid ever stop? The heart was beating and everything looked good. So after 4hours of waiting I spent 45 minutes as a patient. No IV, no blood test, and I will have a lovely $50.00 bill from my insurance in a few weeks.

I am just so glad the baby is ok. We have an OB appt on Thursday. Can't wait to really get the baby all checked out. The hospital tour will have to wait until I look like all the other mothers who were there today, ready to deliver.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh my heck, girl! Why do you faint 1-2 times a year? I didn't know that about you. I'm glad the baby is okay--oh and you too!

Dianna said...

Maybe this little one is just going through it's trouble maker phase now and getting it over with. By the time it's born it will be a perfect angel for the rest of its life! I'm glad you and baby Terry are doing o.k.! No more fainting!

Susanna said...

Oh my gosh, you always have the craziest stories! Glad you and the baby are OK:)

Stephanie said...

Cherise, you are adorable and you crack me up! I can not imagine what you have been through with your 'tour'. I'm sorry. So glad baby and you are alright. Your poor Tristan. Was he ok through all of this? No more fainting, and don't try to be tough either ;o)

tara said...

Hey Cherise, I am a friend of Mary and Sarah and saw your blog through them. I wanted to comment because I have a heart condition where I pass out - and where they tried for years to diagnose but couldn't because my tests would show up normal. Also, all of my sisters have it and pass out JUST when they are pregnant. It is called Neurocardiogenic Syncope and I see a cardiologist that specializes in electrophysiology. I had a Tilt Table Test done to confirm the diagnosis, but from the little you put on here (ie, standing in one place, getting hot, feeling the faintness coming on, etc.) it may be something similar. Good luck! And if you have more questions, get my number from Dondi or Sarah! Hope your pregnancy goes well.
Tara

Anonymous said...

Hey Cherise,
I work for United HealthCare and just looked at job postings for nurses. Not sure if you'd be interested in an office job. A lot of them even get set up with a home office and can telecommute. There was one for a NICU onsite nurse reviewer. You may want to go to United's website to look for some more postings!

Kate Miller said...

Okay so being anonymous doesn't help! It's Kate, your cousin. Email me if you want more info.
Kathryn.seely@uhc.com.

Natalie said...

Oh man. When I went for my first OB visit they couldn't find a heartbeat either and I was terrified. They ended up using a wand and found the baby moving around like crazy and a heartbeat. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us both.