Answer..... Yes. I have an extra job where I teach for cal state long beach one day a week during the school year. Currently I am teaching for cal state fullerton this summer. So with the job loss we have something for the summer and then I would start my long beach job in september. It is not enough to get by and it has no benefits or vacation or sick time. I am what is called per diem. It means as needed. I have taught for them for almost 2 years, we have a staff of 4 for the peds department and we all love working together. I received a call from one of my co workers saying that they kicked out so many students from the nursing program this year that they are cutting one clinical group and it is mine. Not only are they cutting my actual time slot, the friday night group, but me as well cause I am the newest. There is only one full time teacher and the other 3 of us are per diem cause we have other full time jobs. They need all of us every semester, but this one. The other girls have been there longer so of course it is my turn to go. I can start again in january with them though, but I was hoping to be on maternity leave then.
What bad luck. Now I dont even have a back up plan. However things may still work out. The girl that called me to let me know confided in me that she is going to part time and I could have one of her teaching spots. I should be excited, but she has told me for the last 3 semesters she is quitting and never has. After being strung along at my other job for so long, I am failing to put much hope in it. To make matters worse, I was counting on this part time surgical NP position at CHOC that was to start in July. I was told it would be posted last week. So when it was not, I called on friday to see what was going on. My boss said, "Oh I have been meaning to tell you, but did not know when you work, due to the budget we have decided not to hire for that position at this time." Load of junk. I turn my schedule into her every month, she knows when I am there. Also, she told me a month ago that this was all budgeted for starting July 1st. So I asked how it was all of a sudden not budgeted for. The response, we are using the money for that job for something else. Great, thanks!
So I have nothing. No part time job, no teaching job,no back up plans. I have called other schools about teaching and they all say, yes we need teachers but due to budget cuts we are not hiring from the outside. We are all just pitching in and filling in the spots since we can't afford to hire anyone. Hospitals are also all on hiring freezes. I have two possible leads. Neither of them ideal, both with large pay cuts. Oh well at least they are jobs. I start applying and interviewing this week. I am so sick of everyone saying how did you get laid off, you are in healthcare. All the regular nurses at my work have all been only working 1-2 days a week instead of 3. And the physicians I work with are all just finishing their residency and none of them can find any jobs. You know it is bad when doctors can't find jobs.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Can you get laid off from 2 jobs in a month?
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 9:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Unbelieveable! Hey, we're feeling the same thing over in this neck of the woods, too. It is hard times. Keep us updated.
Wow! Heavenly Father must really trust and love you (and I'm not being sarcastic). You have been through so much with Heather and then to have this happen...I can't even imagine it. There must be a reason for this. There must be something just waiting for you that would be the perfect situation! Just keep positive and things will work out!
Wow. I'm sorry, Cherise. I swear the only reason my husband has a job right now is because he joined the military. There's always a need for nurses, until the facility can't afford to pay them.
It's very comforting to know that they are cutting back nurses and qualified teachers to teach upcoming nurses. I am hoping we don't get sick any time soon! Yikes.
I'm sorry you are having to go through this stress, especially when you are pregnant. Everything will work out though.. I'll keep you in my prayers. Hang in there!!
barbara
Hey Cherise-
So I know I've only met you once (I think) years ago with Heather back at Chatsworth. But I check on your blog all the time to check on her and I end up keeping up a bit on your life too. Well, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it, but my husband places medical workers as a job. Finds the hospitals/clinics/offices in need and matches them with the job seekers for a fee given to the office (never the worker). Anyway, if you wanted my husband's firm to try to do the leg work for you or your friends, they'd be more than happy to see what they can do. It can be anywhere, by the way. Email me at summerschaefer@yahoo.com if you're interested at all. Just thought I'd mention it to you. Good luck!
Man, that is quite a string of bad luck! Sorry!!!! I am sure that it will turn around for you, when you least expect it!! Good luck!
Post a Comment