CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

In support of my husband

I begged Tristan not to write a post. I was really nervous about what he would say, who he would tell off for saying he was shirking his responsibilites. But I should have known it would be nothing gile, Tristan does not have a mean bone in is body. We only heard one comment like that, "She would not have to worry about losing her job if Tristan worked." Funny enough it did not come from anyone I am related to. I was worried what he would say. But I think he just wanted to get it out and let people know what is really going on in our lives.

The fact is I make good money. We save a lot, we have a retirement fund, and we have what we need. We don't spend much cause we would rather save it. Tristan has not needed to work. But it all started when he lost his job back in dec 2007. We applied at a million places and never heard anything back. By that time it was mid semester and Tristan was doing so well in school. We knew that with him wanting to go to PA school that he needed to have pretty much straight A's. He was doing so well in school and could not find a job that it just made sense for him to keep knocking out a ton of classes every semester. We still applied for jobs each semester and every semester (the last 4)we have never even had an email or call in response to an application. We go to stores to apply and they say apply on line. We tell them we have and have gotten no response and they say sorry can't help you out.

Truth is that Tristan making 10 bucks an hour and working 15 hours a week is really not going to get us anywhere. He is serving us better by getting the best grades he can to get into grad school. Unfortunatley with my soon to be job loss we have some kinks to work out. But him working even full time at ten bucks an hour will not be enough. I have a couple of options in the works and hope one of them will play out how I want it to.

I just don't think unless a person or a family member has gone to law school, medical school, dental school etc that they really have an idea how tough and competitive grad school is. Or even how tough the under grad chemistry, biology, and anatomy classes are. I went to BYU and was pre nursing and they told us to retake any class that was not an A as we would not get into the program. B's were not good enough to be a nurse.

I am just really proud that Tristan accomplished his goal of making the Dean's list again this semester.

7 comments:

[M] said...

I HATE grad school applications. They are so stressful. Worst case scenario he could come to the PA school that is right by our house. They accepted my sister-in-law so I'm pretty sure they would take anyone:). You could rent out your house for a couple years and live in our garage. Ha ha. Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all work out.

Meredith said...

AMEN! :-)

Cindy said...

No kidding! What prompted all this, anyway????

Unknown said...

Well said. Tristan is one of the best people I have ever met in my whole life. He is so sweet. No money could buy the type of husband you have.

Stephanie said...

You two are just... adorable! I admire your 'together' effort for your family's future. What a blessing for you Cherise to have your education and profession to help your husband through school. I wish you the best of luck for a great job in the very near future. Keep us posted!

Amy D. Hall Riter said...

I totally am in the same boat as you right now!!! I can totally relate--100%(okay maybe not 100% because I am not having a baby- but that is beside the point :))! I guess this is what we get marrying younger men- right?! But in the end it is great and all worth it. Davey is also in school full time getting ready for grad school. I just think it is so neat how educated you are and accomplished! I would love to see you sometime soon. I was just in LA last week for a conference. Next time I am out that way I would love to come see you and Heather if she is feeling up to it.

My Homestead said...

I can't believe anyone would say that to Tristan?!!? Seriously? Would they rather he not go to school and get some job that pays nothing and he hates for the rest of his life? He is working for a better future its not like he is sitting at home playing video games.
People used ask why Jed didn't get a job when he was applying to Dental school and I would just say he is going to be a DR before he is 30! Hello! Why would we want to prolong that so he can work at a dead end job?!?
You are supposed to struggle in your 20's so you can party in your 30's:)
Tristan is doing exactly what he is supposed to do. We are advised to get an education aren't we?
I really can't believe anyone would say that to you guys???