Concern has been raised as to why I dont have a job. Here is why I am currently not employed but soon will be.
Im not Albert Einstein, or any other genius. I have to study very hard for my grades. As some may know, I am working on getting into graduate school for my Masters in Physician Assistant Studies. Persons acquainted with the scholastic requirements for said career know the rigorous and intense courses required as prerequisites. A typical psychology, english, or history class requires a couple hours per week of studying. A typical biology, math, or chemistry class can require 15-20 hours of studying per week. Taking just two of these classes can require 30-40 hours of studying in addition to the studying required for other classes being taken. These science courses often have a fail ratio of 30%-60%. With a current load of approximately 50-60 hours of studying per week outside of class, I do not have time for employment.
Admittance into a Physician Assistant program is very competitive, demanding the highest grades. In order to be competitive, I have to constantly study to achieve and maintain the highest of grades in all my classes. Employment would dramatically reduce my GPA, ensuring I never get into a PA program.
Due to the many prerequisites for a PA program, I always take summer school and winter intercession classes to speed up my graduation. Due to the accelerated curriculum, there is absolutely no time for a job during the summer or winter breaks.
Not only do PA schools require high GPAs, they also require thousands of hours of community service and/or paid patient contact. I recently took an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course at UCLA. This will allow me to get an EMT job this summer so I can build up paid patient contact hours to supplement my community service hours. As there are no summer school classes offered I need, I have applied for jobs and am awaiting responses.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Tristans first and only post!
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 8:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Way to go Tristan. You are definitely working on the bigger picture. Being a PA is way more important for your family then a chump job right now jeopardizing your chances of getting into school. It seems that Cherise is with you! We miss you guys.
Who is giving you flack??!?!!? I guess I am defensive because Ty and I were in same situation not that long ago!! Good thinking on the EMT job!!! That will look great on your applications! Good luck and keep working hard so that Cherise will NEVER have to work again once you are done! : ) PS: My hubby just graduated from PA school...we know it is ALL worth it!
tristan...get a job!
Good for you Tristan and Cherise! You need not answer to anyone but each other. I think you've got quite a nice plan going on. Congrats on all of your hard teamwork! Now is definately the time to get all this tough schooling under your belt, before all the little ones come along. Keep up the excellent work and grades!
Post a Comment