CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

12 weeks!

I am 12 weeks today. Almost done with my first trimester. Just as the nausea, headaches and now dizziness/fainting is all in full swing. We had our 12 week ultrasound yesterday (wed). I went from the doc appointment to the DMV to renew my drivers license where I almost passed out while stading up taking the written renewal test. I had to sit down on the floor of the dmv with my back against the wall. What an ordeal. I am prone to fainting and I felt different all day. Just thought I was getting a cold cause i woke up with a soar throat. As the day progressed I got weaker and weaker and my legs started to shake and I was so light headed. But I was able to pull through it, and get to another appointment about a summer job. I stopped at a gas station on the way home and got some gatorade. I am pretty weak still but feeling a lot better.

As for the ultrasound, they check out the brain that is forming, the spine, stomach, and all limbs. The baby looked good and has grown so much. I had to have some blood work done because I have been exposed to a virus at work which causes damage to babies in the first trimester. They are testing me for 2 things. 1) for immunity. If i have the immunity then it won't matter if I was exposed to it. 2) To see if my body is making antibodies right now which would mean I was just exposed and my body is fighting it. That would be bad and the baby could be severely retarded. I have taken care of several patients who are mentally retarded due to exposure to CMV as babies. They don't talk or walk, they have tracheostomys and are on breathing machines, even at 16. I don't think I have anything to worry about. I am also participating in the newborn screening that california is now paying for. I had my blood drawn for that as well. IF my insurance approves a special ultra sound, I will be having that done too as part of the study. It will be able to rule out with up to 90% accuracy if the baby will have several different diseases such as downs, spina bifida, etc. I hope we get approved otherwise no more chances to see the baby until my 20 week appointment.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

we are so excited for you guys! Thanks for always being there for us, you are the best.