Well as if the last blog was not depressing enough. Here is the latest news. For about one week now Heather has been very sick. SHe has been throwing everything up not eating, and can hardly walk. For about a month my sister Heidi and i have been commenting on how mentally slow Heather has been. She takes sometime to process info and to respond to you. It seems like sometimes she does not even remember she was talking to you. On Wednesday night i went to Heather's house and there i had to help her get into the bath tub and i had to bathe her and wash her hair. Nobody should have to do this to there 31 year old sister. It was all i could do to not ball my eyes out. It was extremely hard because she is so disfigured from her double masectomy. While i was getting Heather out of the tub she had to sit on the floor because her left leg would not work. I begged her to go to the emergency room but she said if she was still sick in the morning she would. Well she did go to her oncologist the next day and they rehydrated her. I was pretty upset that they did not give her as much fluid as i thought she should get. She was to go back to the doctor on friday (yesterday) and get more fluid and an ultrasound of her stomach to see if there was fluid in it causing her to throw up.
I have been sick so i slept in yesterday and turned my phone off, something i never do. I awoke to here that at 0800 in the morning on friday heather had a huge seizure and was taken by ambulance to the ED. She was sitting in bed getting ready to go to the doctor and my mom handed her her toothbrush and she could not hold it. SHe then started screaming she was dying and had a good seizure. My mother called 911 and Scott (Heather's husband)kept trying to keep heather breathing while my father gave her a blessing. When the ambulance got there she had just stopped seizing and all she could say was she wanted her daddy to hold her. So my father who is petrified of hospitals bit the bullet for his baby girl and rode in the ambulance. At the E.D. they did a cat scan of her brain and found that she has four tumors in her brain. The largest one is 4 cm and is pressing right on her brain stem. Hense why she has had memory problems recently, not able to move her leg very well, and all her throwing up.
I was extremely upset by this as she just had a scan which we got the results only 4 days prior. THey did not mention any problems in her brain. As i probed for answers to this i found that her last scan two weeks ago only took pictures from her neck down which is why they did not know this. I just don't understand how come the doctor did not scan her brain after he knew her cancer was in her bones. Being a medical professional i know that once it is in the bones, the next place it takes up as residency is the brain. Heather already had radiation therapy on her brain yesterday, and will for the next 12 days or so. However, they are coming to talk to her on Monday after she gets and MRI to discuss if surgery is an option and if heather even wants to do chem or radiation. The oncologist met with Scott cause Heather was so mad at him she did not want to talk to him. He told Scott that heather's days are numbered on this earth and if everything was done to treat her the longest she would live is to the end of this year. I don't think she will make it that long. My guess is 3-6 months, and quicker if she does not get any treatment.
I don't know how to keep going on at this point. Obviously life will and others have done it when there loved ones pass, but right now i am so angry and upset and feeling guilty that i did not push harder to get her to the specialists at UCLA. She chose to get a second opinion here in orange county rather than there and i felt i had pushed enough. I now realize that is not true. I failed my promise to do all that i could to cure her. I just wanted to update everyone as i know Heather's friends and family read my blog since she does not update hers often. I feel so much for my parents who have to loose a child and for Scott who will loose a wife at the age of 32 after only almost 7 years of marriage. I am grateful that Tristan and i moved so close to them so that i can be here for Heather at this time and that I can be there for her children for the rest of my life. I have promised her to help raise them as my own children, that is the least i can do for her.
Much thanks and love for all who have our family in their thoughts and prayers and to my husband who held me til 0400 this morning when i finally stopped crying and fell asleep.
Saturday, February 7, 2009
A turn for the worse
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 11:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Cherise,
Will you email me as soon as you can so I can chat with you some other way than just posting a comment? I know life is crazy for your family, but if you have a spare second, I'd really appreciate it.
diannaboyce@gmail.com
Cherise, you are a saint for doing this post. Thank you for keeping us informed. We love you and are constantly thinking of you and praying for your family.
You have not failed your sister. You are there, you love, you care for her. It would break her heart if she knew you felt like that. This sucks and I am so sorry. I am sending you my love and prayers. Remember you have not failed.
Bless your heart. Thanks for keeping us all posted. We love you all and are thinking and praying for you.
I am so sorry. I can't even imagine...I am shedding tons of tears for you right now. Wiping them off my chin. I feel so bad. I pray you and your family will feel the comfort of the spirit.
Oh Cherise, I am so sorry. You did not fail. As always, your family is in our thoughts and prayers.
Cherise you are an amazing sister and I know that Heather loves you very much! I am so sorry. I can't even imagine how your family and Scott feel. I am crying reading and composing this message. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Please send our love to Scott and Heather. Thanks for sending me a message to update me...we feel so bad.
Love,
The Herlehy's
Cherise,
Ohh sweetie, PLEASE know that you have so not failed ANYONE. What you are feeling though is a human response to a tremendously hard hard time. The same kinds of thoughts plagued me as I watched my mom die of this. You are strong, kind, and will be in a position to forever be helping Heather as she takes this path Heavenly Father has for her. Tell Heather I love her and will pray for her and your family as she starts this journey. I am sooooo sorry it is so painful. It sucks and it doesn't seem fair but know we will do anything for you and we love you all sooooo much.
Marianne
cherise, i agree with all that has been said above. don't ever say you have failed. you and the rest of your family have done all you can do in this life for heather. i think it was taken out of your hands a long time ago. heavenly father is controlling things now...heather is in his hands and he is watching over all of you now. especially her children. they will never be alone in this world, but will always be guided, directed, and comforted. i love you and am praying for you. if you need me, i am only a plane flight away. i would drop everything to be with you.....
Cherise,
thanks for letting me know of your blog. Scott did call me saturday. I didnt even know what to say. I am so sorry for all of you and know how you feel. Can you please send me your email address? Mine is sablume@gmail.com I wish there is more we can do. You have dont ALL you can. do not get down on yourself at all. youve been amazing to thier family-heather has made a lasting impression on all of us and our lives are changed because of her. Please let me know your email so i can email you more without having to post on here...thanks so much.
sara blume
THank you Cherise for contacting me. I had no idea it was to this point. I've been in tears reading this and wish there was something I could do. Please tell Heather that I love her and the she is a wonderful person. I have so many fond memories with her growing up in the Whittier Stake. My prayers will be with all of you. I will now hold my family a little closer and love them a little more.
I have been cyring all afternoon...my heart is so full and torn for Heather and all her family...my thoughts and prayers are with her and her beuatiful children and Scott...
thank you so much for emailing me the link so I could be updated...
Tonya
Oh Cherise! Nancee just sent me the link to your blog and I am so so sorry to hear that Heather's health has taken a turn for the worse. I don't know the right words to say or write, but having lost my Mom a little over a year ago, I know how precious our time here on earth is. I'm not sure what would be appropriate, I would love to call her if she is up for it, or at the very least send her a card. I love Heather so much - even though we haven't seen eachother in a very long time I consider her a wonderful and beautiful friend. Please please express my love to her and to your wonderful family.
Keeping you all in my prayers.
Hugs,
Jenn (Dorsch)
Would you please post an address where we might be able to send her a card/letter.
Hey Cherise,
Like others have said, you have not failed as a sister. You have done so much for her and I know Heather knows that and knows you did everything you could in your power. Thank you for this post. I knew the basics of the story but I didn't know all of those details. I am so sorry about this whole situation. It's hard for all of us. Thank you for being there for her and helping her. She is going to need a lot of emotional support for the next little while. I feel so helpless living so far away. Take care and please keep your blog updated.
Kelly (Scott's sister)
Cherise,
Words fail at a time like this. We love you all and your precious sister Heather! You are all in our prayer! Let us know if you want a fast day for Heather!
Mindi Jackman Cluff
Post a Comment