It is 11:20 pm and i am just home frome spending time with Heather. I have to be to work at 6:00am for a 12 hour shift, so this will be a quick blog about the last 2 days events. Sunday Heather's friend from college Dianna was here and got to the nursing home before they even opened the doors for visitors. I was so glad that she and Heather got to spend quality time alone. She was such a great support to Heather and was cheering so loudly for Heather while doing her Physical therapy. They got Heather to walk a bit using parallel bars and someone assisting her. It was so much more than we ever thought she would be doing at this time. Heather had lots of visitors on Sunday. My father and i got to spend time with her during the day and then i left when Scott brought the kids and other friends and family came. My sister Heidi got to bring her whole family which ment a lot to Heather. But most important, Heather got to have the kids there a lot. Aaron would come up to the bed and lay his head on her feet and rub her legs. He seems to understand that mommy does not feel good and was giving her loves.
Monday (Day 18) did not start out the best. I got a text from Heather at 4:30 this morning while i was asleep. It woke me up and i was worried something had happened. Now that Heather can use her hands better, she requested her cell and was madly texting everyone last night. I was the lucky recipient of her early morning texts. I wrote back because i am a good sister and felt bad taht she could not sleep. My dad got to the facility early to be wtih Heather and help her with breakfast. SHe had occupational therapy early and he had Heather try and dress herself (obviously she needed help but did ok), and he got her up into the wheel chair and had her brush her own teeth over the bathroom sink. Yesterday i brushed Heather's teeth for her in bed, so it was nice to have her do it herself. Tristan was done with school at 9:00 this morning and we met up at the facility after he was done with class. We walked in while Heather was brushing her teeth. My dad was beaming with excitement at Heather's progress, but pulled me aside to tell me that Heather was very upset when he got there. She had not slept at all and told scott this morning to get her out of the place. She was determined to break out and was very upset. Tristan my dad and i went to occupational therapy with her in the gym. We all sat in a circle and did our exercises with Heather with the resistance bands. It was fun and cool to see her doing better. We stayed for a bit and Heather sat up in the wheelchair and we discussed how important her therapy is and how she can't go home until she can get the catheter out and can tinkle on her own. My dad was a trooper and was there from 8:30 to 8:00 at night. What a great dad! Heather had plenty of visitors today as well. My cousins came which made her day, and ward members came at night and entertained her. I promised i would not leave until she went to the bathroom. They took out her catheter at lunch time. Finally after everyone left at 9:00 she was able to go to urinate. They even checked her bladder after and she had emptied it completely. It was very exciting for us. Next step will be to do it in the toilet instead of a diaper. I stayed with Heather and changed her diaper and clothes before i left. I love being able to do that for her so that strangers do not have to. I was the last to leave tonight and it was sad to leave her alone. The plan was for her to come home Friday, but it sounds like Heather and Scott have put things in motion to be home wed or thursday.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Days 17 and 18
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 11:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is great news! I'm glad she's moving right along and will be able to go home soon.
I love that you guys are by her side. Todd used to work in one of those facilities and it was always so sad to see patients facing their rehab alone. I'm glad Heather has people to cheer her on. You're an awesome sister, Cherise!
That is fantastic news! I am so happy to hear that Heather is so determined and is progressing so quickly. It is great that Heather has so many people around cheering her on and keeping her company. We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers. Give Heather our love!
We loved our visit with her! She is amazing. I think it was good for your dad too. She was thirsty, and downed the whole glass of water I gave her. She insisted on applying her chapstick, and I was thrilled to let her do it!
GO HEATHER!
We love you all soooo much!
Cherise:
Please give Heather our love and that we pray for her and all of you everyday. What a wonderful sister's love that you have for her. I would help my sisters the same way that you help Heather. There is a love between sisters that cannot be described. I talked to my sister everyday to that her burdens with her husband will be made lighter. She says she gets her strength from Heavenly Father so that she will be able to care for him.
Again, give Heather our love and to your family.
Love
Sigie and Ward
Hi Cherise! This is Kim Hackworth. I came across your blog today and I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you! You are an incredible example of Christ like love. My heart aches for Heather and your family! But what a blessing that you guys are there by her side. I just love your dad! I am proud of Heather for her progress. That is awesome! Your family, especially Heather, is in our thoughts and prayers. We sure love you guys!
Post a Comment