CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 15 and 16

Day 15: This was Heather's last day at St.Joseph's hospital. I went and visited her in the morning and then went sraight to Long Beach to my job there. I work every friday night til 11:30pm. This is why there was no entry last night. Heather was able to sit up on the edge of the bed yesterday with physical therapy. SHe was moving so much better, she could raise her right hand and touch her chin. THey decided with that improvement she was eligible for some rehab therapy to try and get her feeding herself again and to get her to use the walker so she can get out of bed and go to the bathroom. In order to do this, she would have to go to a skilled nursing facility which most of us would call an old person's or convalescent home. I know this idea was not the one Heather was hoping for, but it was the best. At home she would not get the amount of therapy she needs or as aggressive therapy. Scott went and looked at the facility and reported that the average age is 90 and Heather would have a roomate and the food was not great. I am proud of Heather for picking the more difficult choice,which will ultimately be the best for her. She was in such good spirits yesterday and her rash looked so much better. I scratched her head for her, fed her ice chips, and put a movie on for her. But mostly we just chatted which was fun. We were joking about how she would be the hottie of the rest home and all the old pervie men would be pinching her bum. The nurse came in to see what was the noise in heather's room and was surprised to see heather laughing pretty hard. Heather told her that we were just cracking jokes and messing around. It was so good to see my sister back. Late afternoon friday they moved her to a nursing home around the corner from the hospital.

Day16: Well it was Heather's first night in the rest home and she did not like it. She woke up at 3:30 in the morning and thought it was 3:30pm and that nobody had come to see her. She said she cried and a nurse came in and told her it was the morning. It relieved her a bit but she still just cried herself to sleep. Today when my parents came to see her in the morning she started crying again. Said she did not like it there cause the food was gross and nobody came to help her. But while my parents were there, the physical therapist came and got her up and did an assessment so they can start working with her tomorrow. Heather had so much more strength and contorl today and surprised herself, that i think she finally realized how fast she can progress with this rehab. It made all this worth it. I was expecting her to not be the best since she had such a rough night. When i got to the facility around 5:30 Heahther had a full room of visitors and was sitting up smiling and talking. She was so alert and as she talked she used her hands to talk. SHe was able to move her left hand so much. Not the best strength but able to move it all around. And she could scratch her forehead with her right hand. It was so exciting to see this. She could move her right leg quite well but still not much help with the left. She was not nodding off after talking, she was so awake and stayed up until we left around 10:30. We made sure she got a sleeping pill tonight. Scott is not allowed to stay with her so she gets really anxious being there along. I hope she can get a good night sleep. My dad drove all the way tonight just to drop off a mini portable dvd player for Heather so she will have something to do. She was really excited. She also got to see her kids today. Hannah was pushing (or trying to) Heather around in the wheelchair. She loves to take care of her mom. Some of heaher's work friends came to visit which was so nice and brought gift cards to the grocery store, restraunts, and target. It was such a blessing and wonderful thought. Dianna and Stephanie were both able to fly in for the weekend and i know it just lit Heather up. This is probably why she was so spry today.

I could not have asked for a better day. I am so pleased with heather's progress and can't believe how much better she is in just one day. I can't wait to see her progress with the rehab. It will be so nice to get her home when the time is right. She is in a nice place that does not smell and she does not have a roomate at this time which is wonderful. Her rash on her forehead is almost gone and it is much improved on her back. Now we just have to conquer the full bladder and not being able to void on her own. She had that catheter for so long and now she just retains her urine. She had to have a catheter placed again today. I hope this problem will improve as she continues to get better. Sorry for the long post but it is two days worth of info. I just can't believe how good she was doing today, I can't stop smiling!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news. We are so happy Heather is doing well.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Thanks for the post. I am so glad she is doing much better and improving so quickly. We continue to pray for her.

marianne said...

That is wonderful Cherise! Hopefully, if she keeps getting better this fast she will be home soon.
Marianne

Mrs. Haynie said...

oh im so glad heather is doing well. that comment about the pervs pinching her bum made me laugh so hard!

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

We are so relieved this are improving so nice! Thanks for all the updates!!!

Herlehy Family said...

I am so happy to hear the Heather is doing so well. It brought tears to my eyes when I was reading the details and I am so glad that see will be able to get some of her strength back. Give Heather our love and tell her to keep up the hard work. We will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Crissy said...

Man, Cherise! I just got "on board" with blogging again and I am still in shock after reading your latest entries.

My heart goes out to you and your family. This must be the most difficult thing you have all had to go through. I can't even begin to imagine the emotional rollercoaster you have all been riding for the past few months.

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. And...way to go Heather for toughing out the old folks home, but I bet her PTs just love her since she is the youngest there (I know I would)! I'm happy she had such a good day.

Love, Crissy

Huss Family said...

I am SO happy to hear that she is doing better! I pray for you guys every night!
Love ya!

Jamie said...

I am so sorry to hear about all that Heather has been going through. I was so happy to find your blog. I always ask my mom how she is doing. I would love to get an adress from you for her. You could email it to me at jamiehacky@hotmail.com

I am glad to know she is doing ok right now. She is always in my prayers!