CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day 14

Today I woke up early and cleaned the house and got the laundry started. I went and spent the afternoon with Heather at the hospital. It was really fun. She was awake and really interactive. Three women from her ward came over and gave her a manicure and pedicure. Her ward is so wonderful, the people have been so good to Scott, Heather, the kids and to our family. I am so glad Heather has such wonderful friends in her ward. Heather and I watched Dodgeball together. Heather would nod off here and there, but there was one time when she all of a sudden said, Hey I never saw that before. Did you notice that sign before. I started to laugh because here she is with a brain that sometimes does not work, but she could read this sign in the background of the movie that neither of us had seen before. She did better swallowing and drank quite a bit of her chocolate shake and ate lots of ice chips. She even had one of my m&ms. When i left the hospital they were coming to work on heather's port a cath. It is a permanent device that is in her arm which they access by sticking a needle in so that she does not have to get IVs every time she needs chemo therapy. Well this port is Heather's third and it has been a fickle one. Now after all this time despite continuous fluid flowing threw it while in the hospital, it clotted. It will allow fluid to go in, but won't let blood be drawn from it. They have tried some clot busting medicine but it did not work. Today she was to have a 3 hour infusion of some stuff that will break up the clots in an attempt to get it to work again. I texted Scott tonight and he said it was successful. YEAH!

On a side note, Heather asked Scott to call me tonight to tell me i am the smartest nurse/nurse practitioner ever. Today while i was there i asked heather about her rash. She said the doctor came today and still said looked like reaction to radiation. I told Heath that if it was not gone soon when she goes home i will write her a prescription and we would just do the anti fungal medicine ourselves. Everyone in the room was just kind of laughing about that. Well turns out when the oncologist came tonight he said hey looks like you have a fungal rash. YEP people I was not so crazy after all. I was bummed today after i talked with Heather since my diagnosis was wrong. Now i feel so much better. They ordered a cream and scott said it is already helping and the rash looks better. YEAH! Still waiting to see if Heather will come home tomorrow. She has been having fevers for the last few days on and off. But when she does get to go home Heather is in for a treat. I had mentioned before about the extreme home make over that people in Heather's ward are doing on her condo. It looks great. Before Heather got sick, my dad and she had picked out some laminate floor to put in and today it was installed thanks to Heather's ward and they finished the place by doing the living room and dining area. It looks amazing! Thank you!

4 comments:

Elder Driessen said...

Cherise, you are so adorable and amazing! I so appreciate hearing each night how Heather is doing. She is incredibly fortunate to have such a loving and attentive sister. I know that your whole family is wonderful and it sounds like the Chapman's are too! You all continue to be in our daily prayers.
I think it is the neatest thing that CARE is offering their services at no charge. I am not surprised. That is how the Lord works. What a great opportunity for CARE to serve Heather and her family, in turn they will be blessed for it.

Take care, you are a humble hero.

Stephanie (Marco) Driessen

marianne said...

You go girl! Mystery diagnosis solved! You rock! I am sooooo glad Heather is doing better today. That makes me so happy. Sending hugs from Idaho!
Love Marianne

Cindy said...

The Lord is in the details! Who would have thought all those years ago when you started nursing that one of the greatest uses of your profession would be for your own sister.

If I ever have serious health issues I want you by my side!

So happy to hear that Heather was able to enjoy the movie with you and that her blockage is fixed.

Love You!

Mrs. Haynie said...

you are the smartest nurse practioner i know..and i didn't know heather's ward was working on their condo. that is fabulous!