Not much to update, unfortunately I only went to the hospital once today. I went tonight from 7:30-9:30 with my husband and my parents. I had the day off today and planned on spending all day at the hospital. However with this all going on the last 2 weeks, I have not done laundry or any deep cleaning. I have done the light cleaning, but felt like with family and friends starting to come and stay with us I really wanted to get my house back to pre hospital life. I have neglected my home, laundry, cooking, and my personal life. Today i just needed a bit of time to clean and organize. I still did not get to the grocery store. We are down to whats left in the back of the cupboards, there just is no time. I woke up so tired that i just laid on the couch and watched some recorded stuff i have not watched. I finally got off the couch at 11 and started cleaning. I felt so guilty about not being at the hospital but i was stressing out about getting the housework done. It was a tough choice. Truth is i think i had some depression issues today. It was the first day i did not have to be at work or get up early to go see Heather in the ICU and make sure everything is ok. So i had no real motivation to get up and i finally had to deal with everything. I have been on autopilot just going through the motions of life and work and living at the hospital. But i got my act together, cleaned for a bit and then i went to play with Heather's kids for the afternoon. Hannah and i are so close and she had mentioned to me on the phone the other day that i don't come over anymore. This is because i am always at the hospital. I had a great day with the kids and my parents. Tristan joined us for dinner and we all went to the hospital. I plan on spending most of the day at the hospital tomorrow and finishing up my cleaning. My dad is staying with us tonight in our new guest bed. I am really excited Tristan's parents gave us a double bed so that people can stay with us at this difficult time. My mom is staying with the kids and I wanted my dad to just come over and relax but be close enough to go help my mom in the morning.
Now for what everyone actually wants to hear. Heather was doing well today. She was talking and with it tonight. She has moments where she can't think of the word she is looking for or can't remember what she just said. She told the nurse's aide her pain was an 8 out of 10 and then the nurse came in 1 minute later and Heather told her the pain was a 5. My dad told her she had just said an 8, and Heather smiled and said "Oh I forgot that!" Unfortunately Heather now has a very bad rash on her back and a little on her forehead. They think it could be reaction to radiation or to the laundry detergent from the hospital. I saw the rash tonight. My nurse practitioner diagnosing skills (which are still developing) tell me it is a fungal rash. I think it is from her sweating and lying on her back and the sweat on her forhead. We get this a lot in our little kids. I mentioned that to the RN and suggested a anti fungal powder to use. This is the first time i over stepped my bounds but i did it nicely. I suggested, did not say do this. I asked that they have the physician in the morning look at it and see what he thinks. I can't wait to spend tomorrow with Heather now that she is alert.
One more thing i would like to add. Heather's radiation is being pushed back for a couple weeks to allow her skin to heal from the surgery site. The case manager who is arranging all the discharge stuff called the insurance company today and they will not pay for an ambulance to pick Heather up from her house for 5 days and take her to radiation. The lady then called the CARE ambulance company and asked if they have discounted rates that the family could pay for to have heather transported. The company must have been so moved by the story cause they have agreed to transport Heather for those five days for free. I can't believe it. I was so excited i cried. Just a small way Heavenly Father is blessing us and helping everything to work out to get Heather home. I work with CARE ambulance at my job and I am planning on writing the company an enormous thank you letter when i have the time. I will let everyone know if Heather's plans for Friday discharge is still happening after i visit tomorrow.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Day 13
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 10:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Please don't feel guilty for spending a few minutes taking care of yourself. I am so glad to hear that you had a good day with Heather and the kids. We will be praying that Heather will be able to go home on Friday...that would be just great. I am so impressed that the ambulance is going to transport Heather for free, what a little blessing and who guys defiantly deserve a few of those. Send Heather our love!
Thanks, Cherise. You need to take care of yourself too, or you won't be good for anyone. I'm glad you had some time to do normal things. It's important. The Lord is in the details. BIG detail, the ambulance! WOW!
Cherise you do need to make sure that you take time to process all of this a little depression is expected especially with everything you are doing! Thank you for the updates and our prayers are with you and your family!
This blog is such a great service to those who love Heather, you, and your family. Thank-you.
oh cherise. don't be depressed and don't be sad. hey i bet seeing my name show up on your phone when i called made you feel bad...i'm quite annoying :) hooray for CARE ambulance. add my thank-you to your letter...
Post a Comment