Yesterday was Day 20 of this whole mess, and it ended up being Heather's last day in the rehab/rest home. She had a great day with visitors and women from our family and church learning how to do her physical therapy. On monday Heather had decided she wanted out of that place. They told her they would work on getting everything ready for her to get out but it would take a couple days and it all depending on her being able to go potty without the catheter. We conquered that on tuesday and they were getting her ready to go. Friday for sure would be her last day there according to her insurance as they would only pay 7 days. Well, I was thinking maybe she would go home on thursday (today) as she asked to get out early. Well, Wednesday night came and they put a roomate in heather's room and she decided that was time to go home. She ended up coming home in Scott's car and several men carried her upstairs in her wheelchair to their condo. It was late as the place had to get her meds together and discharge instructions. I do this on a regular basis and i know how hard and time consuming it is to get it all done, especially on short notice. Heather had a great day yesterday even before she got home. Hannah spent all afternoon with her. When my dad brought Hannah there she told my dad to set up the movie and then to take a walk. So he did, he walked for two hours while Hannah and Heather snuggled in her bed and watched Kit. Hannah then stayed all night cause she wanted to ride home with her mommy. She did not go to bed til around midnight because she was so excited for her mom to come home and to see the newly decorated house.
Today I went to work as Heather's official home health nurse. Day 1 of post hospital life. When I arrived this morning my mom (who spent the night at her house) had her up in the wheelchair. I got there and wheeled Heather to the table and she fed herself breakfast and I gave her all her meds. We were successful in getting to the bathroom today which was our big worry. We used a portable toilet, but she was able to get up from the couch, use her walker, and get into her room to use that bathroom. We were pretty excited. She sat up until about 1:00 when she started to feel tired. she layed down pretty much the rest of the day. i was starting to worry as her cheeks were flushed in the afternoon and she seemed really tired. But she has not been sleeping so hopefully it is just all of that catching up with her. She watched lots of tv shows that were recorded for her while in the hospital. She will start radiation on monday next week. We are so grateful to all the wonderful people that will be coming over to sit with Heather and to help her with her therapy. Women in the ward have been having the kids over to play which really helped today as it gave Heather a couple of hours of silence to rest. Even a mother from the school came over today and brought some fun things for Hannah and Aaron to do to keep them out of Heather's hair and to occupy them. It was really sweet to see even people from outside our family and the church helping out. I am so glad Heather is home and I know she is. But nothing is better than watching those two little kids take care of their mom. Aaron was trying to feed Heather some water while she was lying down. He basically gave Heather a shower. Hannah likes to push Heather around in the wheel chair and make sure she is ok. She told me today that she is going to take good care of her mom cause she is going to be a nurse when she gets bigger.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Day 20
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 10:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Yay!!! What is my schedule?
...and is that Hannah adorable or what!
Oh I'm so happy that Heather is home! What wonderful news! We're so happy for all of you!
I am so happy that Heather is home and able to be with her sweet children. Isn't it amazing how the Lord prepares us for trials in our lives. You have been blessed with a wonderful medical background, to be able to help your sister during a very difficult time in life. I am sure that things are less than desirable for her, but it makes things so much better that she has a sister who can care for her. I love you girls! I will continue to pray for your family!
I am so happy to hear the Heather is home with her children and Scott! It is so great that so many people want to help and offer service. Give them our love and we will continue to keep them in our thoughts and prayers.
So happy to hear all of this! Those precious kids...I am so glad that they get more time with their mommy!! Happy, happy, happy. Take care of yourself too! :)
Oh my gosh, I completly appreciate little Hannah's wish to be alone with her Mommy. Picturing them in the bed together is so precious. What a sweetheart. And Aaron giving his mommy a drink (for her body) so sweet! I'm so happy for Heather that she is in the comfort of her own home and with her children and husband now.
Thank you for your updates Cherise! You're awesome.
Post a Comment