CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Heartbroken

I don't know how else to describe the last couple of days as anything other than heartbreaking. My sister Heather had a repeat scan last week since she completed her chemotherapy. At the last scan just a few months ago the tumors in her lungs had shrunk by 70%, but she was having questionable spots on her liver. Appartently that was the point where her body was no longer responding to the chemo. I guess i should say the tumors were no longer responding. In just three months, despite having weekly chemo, the tumors have grown. This is the first time we have not had a good response from chemo in this whole battle for the last two years. THe tumors in her lungs are now bigger than they were when they found them in march of this year only two months after she was deemed in remission. In addition, the spot on her liver was indeed cancer, as it has grown in size also since her last scan.

So now what?????? Well, surprise we are heading for our third round of chemo in less than 2 years. Add that to a couple of months of radiation and a double masectomy and you have quite a busy two years. Heather will already undergo treatment starting next week. THey will be using two different chemo agents that are platnin based such as cysplatnin etc. (for any of you out there familiar with chemo drugs). I am spear heading the get a second opinion team and realize that i will probably have to call the insurance company my self and get it approved and then sleep outside UCLA or USC's cancer centers until they let her in. But i am ready to do it. I just want to make sure that this is the right treatment for her and that she is getting the best treatment she can get.

Unfortunatley I have been working the last two days and only got a few minutes with heather yesterday on my way home from work. She seemed to be holding it together when i got to her house so i did not want to discuss the issue and upset her. However my parents said it was a really hard blow for her as she was expecting it to be smaller and hoping it was gone. I love my sister dearly and it is so painful to see her like this, but mostly my heart is breaking for her two children that i love more than anything in this world. And it is breaking for Heather as i cannot imagine what it would be like to go through this while worrying about the future of your children. Thank you to everyone who has kept her in your prayers and has asked about her and shown your concern. I really apprecaite such wonderful friends. MUCH LOVE!

And Heather if you are reading this, I love you and won't give up until you are cured

6 comments:

Erickson Family said...

Heartbroken just says it all! I wish I was there to comfort, cry with and support your family!! I have been in shock and just completely numb since I talked with Heather. She is such a strong women and I am so proud of her. I’m so glad that you’re doing what it takes to get another opinion. We want the best for that wonderful lady!! I love her so much and am so thankful that she is apart of my life. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect friend. Please know that you and your family are always in my prayers. I love you and I am so thankful that you are there for Heather. If you or your family need ANYTHING… please let me know and I will try to help in anyway I can. Thinking of you ~ Steph

Sandy Plummer said...

The entire Chapman/Terry/Luedtke families are in our prayers!

Amy D. Hall Riter said...

My heart breaks for Heather and your family. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. I LOVE Heather! I remember the good old time we had at BYU. Please send her my love!

Huss Family said...

You are the best sister she is so lucky to have you. My heartbreaks has I read your blog and I will make sure to keep your entire family in my prayers.

Dianna said...

I'm glad Heather has a link to your blog! I love seeing how you're doing. PLEASE give Heather a hug for me. I can't imagine what I can do from so far away, but she's in my prayers every day. Keep up the good fight Cherise. I'm so glad she has you and your medical training. I love you guys!

Mrs. Haynie said...

hi cherise...my heart just dropped reading your post. if anybody is going to try hard to find the best solution it is going to be you. we are in venice and come back sunday...miss and love you.