CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Not much to report

Heather is doing ok after her injection on wednesday. She has the same aches and bone pain she has had everyother time she gets a shot. She has pain pills but she only takes them at night cause they make her pretty light headed and tired. She sounded in good spirits over the phone when I called her today and seems to be tolerating the pain. But with Heather you never really know. She is such a trooper and never complains. Every single health professional we have seen says the same thing, "Heather you always have a smile on your face no matter what." They all look forward to her visits and check-ups because they love her so much and she is so happy despite her situation. I know they all have a special bond with Heather and an interest in her because she is such a miracle. It is easy to get attached to those kind of patients. I know from experience. I recently lost one of my favorite patients, just on Monday.

Her funeral was today but I had to work and was unable to attend. I had taken care of her for the last 8 months in the hospital. We even threw her a huge sweet 16 party a couple of months ago. This patient was the sweetest person I have ever met and like Heather never complained and always smiled. She was much worse off than Heather. She had an unknown connective tissue disorder that eventually took away her ability to breath on her own, she had a tracheostomy and eventually was on a respirator which then ment she could not talk anymore. She could also not walk. But her mind was intact. She was 16 and taking home school courses and doing calculus and college level stuff. SHe spoke mutliple languages beautifully and she was able to write to communicate. Her family was also so sweet. They showed such sincere grattitude for everything and the love of her parents especially her mother who never left her bedside for one minute for the last 8 months was inspirational. I saw a lot of my mother in her. I loved this sweet young women and I was able to tell her how much I loved her and what an example and inspiriation she was to me a few days before she passed. I arrived at work monday morning about 10 minutes after she passed. Her family stayed in the room for several hours and said their goodbyes. Later her nurse needed help cleaning her up and preparing the body. I gladly volunteered to do this. The nurse was surprised since now that i am a practitioner I don't do direct patient care. For this girl I would do anything. I would want somebody who loved me to be the one to clean me up, bag me up and take me to the morgue. I love doing that part. It is hard but it is so peaceful and the spirit in the room is always so strong. I wanted to do right by her and make sure she was presentable and reverently placed in her shroud and body bag. It is so final with that last zip of the bag and that is always the hardest part. But I am glad I got to be the last person with her at the hospital. It are those bonds you have with patients that make it worth while for those of us in the medical field and I know that Heather has touched many of those who care for her in this special way.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, Cherise. What a tender story!

marianne said...

Dang you Cherisse for Making me cry first thing Monday morning! I love you!!!!! I love Heather so much! I swear we are the luckiest family on the planet to have such strong, spirited, compassionate, hard working women in our family like we do. You are right about your Mom. She is such a dedicated mother, no doubt. I imagine you will be one of the best too when that time comes for you. The apple never falls far from the tree!
Marianne

Mrs. Haynie said...

this post made me cry too. its a combination of being so emotional over seeing josh's baby last night, and now reading about heather, and your patient. dang, i am a mess!

Deidre said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog earlier. Of course I remember you! Glad to peek in on your life from afar.

Marge said...

Cherise you are in the right field of work. You make me proud to be a nurse. Your patients are so lucky to have you.