I feel that this weekend with the fire situation and all really made me want to get prepared. I have always known it was improtant and the smart thing to do, but i never seem to get it all together. We have 72 hour kits and remnants of some emergency kits in our cars (Tristan just had a can of chili for dinner that has been in my trunk for 2 years. YUCK!). But when i was single i did not have to worry about the big stuff like food storage and a months supply. I could just eat my parents and if i were going be single and living with them another year i probably would have thrown myslelf into the natural disaster anyway (just kidding) so not much to worry about. When we got married i made 72 hour kits but we did not have enough room for food storage and now we should if i can just make everything fit into this house. I have been trying to research exactly what we would need, and even have signed up to do some dry canning and such, but then it is always when i am working. This weekend just made me see how i can't put it off anymore. Also, i have this cool binder thing i made at my sister's homemaking night and it is so organized and such for all your emergency needs. BUt i have to fill it in with all our records and information and of course it has been two months and I have not done it. Over thanksgiving break i will be searching for several items that i currently have no clue to their where abouts.
As for updates with the fire. We are ok and Heather and her family were able to go back this morning to their condo. School was cancelled for her daughter. Her bishop completley lost there home as did some others in there ward who lived in apartments that caught on fire. The park next to Hannah's (my niece) school is completley gone. But we are glad they are ok and were able to make it to my parents. Some women in Heather's ward who also have breast cancer (remind me not to move into that ward) spoke with their physician and he agreed to meet heather for a second opinion. So as of this week she has a new doctor and is on oral chemotherapy. No more weekly trips and ivs. She is sicker with this in some ways as her IV chemo never made her throw up. But she is hanging in there. I still wish we could have the big docs at USC or UCLA or city of hope check her out, but for now i am glad that we have changed up some things in the hopes of changing our outcome.
I need to post some pics, but i dont know how to get them from the camera to the computer. How sad is that. I thought i was good with computers until I married Tristan and realized i really only know how to write a paper or email. Promise some will be coming soon.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Preparing for the unexpected
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 7:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm glad you guys survived the fires and I hope that your sister starts improving with her new Dr. You've got me thinking, I need to do better with our Emergency Preparedness too.
I've enjoyed catching up on your blog. I need to put a link to it from my blog (that was a note to self). Anyway, it sounds like it has been very exciting around your parts lately, and not for the good. I'm happy to hear that you and your family were safe during the fires. You also reminded me that we have a LOT more to do to get prepared. How is Heather doing with the new doctor? I hope she is keeping positive and that you all are too. Take care and know we are thinking of you.
Oh and...having a baby is a huge decision, but one of the best ones ever made. I love being a mom and caring for my boys. They bring us so much happiness. I can't say that we were ever really completely ready for it, but we are completely happy that we made this choice. Good luck with that one!
Post a Comment