It has been a while since my last post. My teaching job at Cal State Long Beach University started again a couple weeks ago and the prep part has kept me pretty busy. I had to set up this whole website thing and review a million pages of school policies and hospital policies. Since i am the newest one to our pediatric group of professors I was bumped to the night class. I now teach every friday night from 3pm-11:30pm. Nice thing is i have no traffic at those hours so my commute is only 35 minutes, but it is sad to know that every friday night Tristan will be all by his lonesome. His best friend just moved and now he has nobody to hang out with. I told him, "Great, you can study the entire time I am gone." To which he replied, "I don't study on fridays, its my day off." So i told him he could clean the entire house and do the laundry then. He actually did clean the whole house this week and he always does the dishes. It was so nice to come home after a 12 hour shift and find the house clean but more importantly to know that i did not have to worry about cleaning it the next day on my one day off.
Moving to my exciting day last week. CHOC (Children's Hospital Orange County) has a radio station inside it called Radio Lollipop. The kids can listen to it in their rooms and call in and make requests. It is a neat program they have and once a year KIIS FM comes down and broadcasts from our station inside the hospital to fund raise. I was listening to it as i drove to work that morning excited for the event. We were given a strict lecture on working and not stalking the crew that was coming. I had no idea celebs were going to be there, i just thought it would be Ryan Seacrest and Ellen K. As i walked through the lobby to the elevators it was mad chaos to just get inside, but there on the other side of the glass, about two feet from me was Ryan Seacrest and Ellen K. Ellen K had her back to everyone the whole time, how rude. But Seacreast was front and center he looked up and smiled. Boy he is really short, i only saw him sitting down, but he barely reached the table sitting. I went on to work, examining patients and rounding on them, then i left about an hour later to go to a conference at a different part of the hospital. Who is walking right next to me outside, Spencer from the MTV show "The Hills" and Heidi was not far behind him. I started laughing and said "Are you kidding me?" He said what, why. I told them thanks for coming out so early (8am) and helping with the kids. They are not even celebs in my book, but i still was in this weird sureal mode. All i have to say is although I thought that he is a jerk in real life, he was actually very nice. Heidi was the snob which surprised me and boy if you have ever seen the show and thought she has a lot of makeup on multiply that times 10. I don't know how anyone can stand having that much crap on there face. GROSS! I also got to hear Jesse Mcartney (don't know how to spell) perform and some other upcoming artists came. Then some young actor from the new 90210 came up to our unit to see the kids. It was a fun day, but I just wish real celebs could have been there.
On a more somber note, people have been asking me for an update on my sister. I also know that some extended family members read this blog and would probably care to know. About a 6 weeks ago heather had another full body scan as it was her half way point for her chemo treatment (this is her second time of chemo). The scan showed that 70% of the cancer in her lung was gone, but there were still a couple significant tumors. The bad news is the scan also showed some spots on her liver. The doctor is not sure if it is cancer or just artifact picked up by the machine. It is nice to think it would just be stuff picked up by the machine that is not really there, but that is what they told us last december about one small spot on her lungs. We believed it was just from the machine or maybe some radiation damage, scar tissue. Two months later (feb) heather had significant cancer in her lungs, showing it was not what the physicians had thought. So it makes me hesitant to accept this theory on the spots on her liver. They are treating it as if it was in her liver. Instead of chemo every three weeks, she now gets weekly chemo for three weeks and then one week off. They are not going to rescan her until december. So for about four and a half months heather will be making weekly trips for chemo. Over all her spirits are fair and she is not giving up. Thank you for everyone's concern.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Celeb Sightings and more
Posted by cherise and Tristan at 7:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh I think about your sister often I am so sorry to hear that. I will keep your family in my prayers and I hope things take a turn for the better!
Radio Lollipop launched while Emily was at CHOC! I think the Cheetah Girls and some kids from High School Musical were there, but we never saw anyone. It was all in the morning and I didn't get to leave the hospital until Forest arrived after work. We I had to sign some papers that it was ok for Emily's image to be used in case she was in a picture. We did see Mickey and Minnie in the tunnel, but she wasn't very excited.
Thanks for the update on Heather. We pray for her all the time.
Oops! I forgot to say that it was Paige making that last comment. I can never remember my user name :)
hey babe...im so sorry about heather. she is always in my prayers. and thats funny about the celebs coming to CHOC. now when i watch ryan seacrest on tv i'll know he is a midget in real life. :)
Heather came into my mind today (though I haven't seen her since we graduated from high school). I found both of your blogs online. So sorry to hear all she's been going through. She's in my prayers. Tell her Deanna Durazzo (now Jasper) says hi!
you should have had no problem with that egyptian teacher of yours, what with your egyptian background :)
Post a Comment